TRUE and FALSE

Tim McDaniel mcdaniel at adi.com
Thu Sep 27 00:38:45 AEST 1990

In an otherwise excellent article, ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A.
O'Keefe) writes:

   [File-scope] "static" is not such a big deal.  Remember, the norm
   for good C style is to have a very small number of functions in a
   file, which means that 'static' functions are expected to be rare.

Like the old punchline, "what you mean 'WE', paleface?"

Here at Applied Dynamics (plug plug), and doubtless at many other
places, we try to modularize.  All the functions that relate to one
data structure or data type are put in one file, and any local
information is declared 'static' (actually, PRIVATE).  If that makes a
large source file, well, life is full of little tragedies.

I dislike the one function==one file idea, simply because so much is
made global.  I can't easily tell where an external variable or
function is used.

(P. S.  It's a Lone Ranger joke.
   "Tonto!  Look!  Ten thousand Indian warriors have surrounded us,
   and they're about to charge!  We're about to be killed!"
)
--
Tim McDaniel                 Applied Dynamics Int'l.; Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Work phone: +313 973 1300                            Home phone: +313 677 4386