Leap Year Checker.

Mark A. Yedinak yedinak at motcid.UUCP
Sat Sep 29 00:14:07 AEST 1990

johnb at srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) writes:

: (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) writes:

:|In article <24700010 at sunc1>, mccaugh at sunc1.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
:|> Ordinarily, a leap-year is a multiple of four, so that--given leap-year y--
:|> (y%4 == 0) ought to indicate if y designates a leap-year.

:|Bzzzzzt!  Nope, but thanks for playing.  Vanna has lovely gifts for you.

:|Every leap year is divisible by four, but not every year divisible by
:|four is a leap year.  Since the 18th century (I think 1752, but an
:|earlier century in R.C. countries), the algorithm has been...

:BRRRAPPP.  Sorry, your time's up.
:           What do we have for the programmers, Johnny?

:The date was 1582.

Sorry John, our judges reviewed your answer and it is incorrect. The original
answer was correct. The missing days were removed from September, in the year
1752. The dates removed were September 3 through September 13, inclusive. And
here is Jay to tell us what parting gifts we have for John.

--
Mark A. Yedinak - uunet!motcid!yedinak 		*  "Don't take life too
Motorola - General Systems Sector		*   seriously, you will