assertions and debuggers

Wade Guthrie evil at arcturus.uucp
Tue Sep 25 01:43:26 AEST 1990

Lyndon VanWagner writes:
> On the VAX, we have been able to redefine the assert macro to place
> us into the VMS debugger at the point of error, rather than just
> exiting the program.

> My question is this.  Is it possible to do a similiar thing to Unix C
> and dbx?

You don't have to!  Just let the assertion dump core -- dbx (or
dbxtool, if you're on a sun) can debug the core dump to put you at
the statement where the core dump occurred.  I don't remember
whether the VMS debugger will allow one to debug a core dump (or,
for that matter, whether VMS actually allows an assertion to dump
core); if it does, you might try this approach rather than modifying
the macro.

Hope this helps.
--
Wade Guthrie (evil at arcturus.UUCP)    | "He gasped in terror at what sounded
Rockwell International; Anaheim, CA  | like a man trying to gargle while