How to link without stdio

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Sep 26 08:30:36 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep25.161300.29421 at phri.nyu.edu> roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
>what I'd like to do is force the linker to ignore any stdio routines in
>/lib/libc.a; that way, if there are any stdio calls left that I missed,
>they will show up as link errors.  Any way to do this, other than
>rebuilding libc.a from scratch, which seems impractical.

There is no way to tell the linker to skip all stdio objects.  However,
you could ar xv libc.a and then search the objects for STDIO references
(using strings if you header files include ident strings, or nm (looking
for stdio functin references/declarations) otherwise) and then use
ar cv testlibc.a with all the objects that did not match.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170