Assignment in test: OK?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
Thu Sep 13 19:41:29 AEST 1990

In article <BURLEY.90Sep12073323 at world.std.com>, burley at world.std.com (James C Burley) writes:
> Perhaps C fanatics will disagree with this, but I don't take
> seriously people who essentially would say "no, '=' is Right because I'm used
> to it" when I'm saying if it had been ':=' from the beginning, THAT is what
> we'd all be used to, without having to have gone through RUN-time debugging
> to find our early mistakes.

History lesson:  it *WAS* ":=" in the beginning.
C is descended (via B) from BCPL, in which assignment is ":=".
Evidently someone along the way _did_ believe that ":=" was Wrong.
(Actually, Pop admirers know that the Right way is "rvalue -> lvalue". (:-))

--
Heuer's Law:  Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.