scope Q

Dan Mick dan at kfw.COM
Tue Apr 23 10:15:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr19.151959.6847 at noose.ecn.purdue.edu> muttiah at stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:
>/* Is there some way I can control the scope of a variable within
>a file ?  Something similar to #undef when using #define */
>
>int a,b;
>
>fn1(..)
>{
>}
>
>fn2(..)
>{
>}
>
>/* beep beep, useful life of a is over */
>
>fn3()
>{
>
>a = 5;  <- undefined variable: a
>}

Yes.  Split the file in two.

Why on earth would you want to do something to completely frustrate the
next person that looks at your code?  There's no reason to "unscope" a
variable; if that's what you want, use the perfectly good mechanism of
splitting the file and making the variable have file scope (i.e., not
extern).

I mean, there may *be* a way to do this, but you really shouldn't want to.
Honest.