Redeclaration of Variables extern/static

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Apr 11 02:17:42 AEST 1991

In article <15775 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>... Some Classic compilers (including the original one,
>>if memory serves) can't cope with forward static declarations at all.
>
>I've never seen a UNIX C compiler that had a problem with multiple
>declarations of the same object with static linkage, so long as all
>declarations of the object included the "static" storage specifier.

Sorry Doug, you lose.  The original Ritchie compiler refuses to accept
such multiple declarations.  (I just tried it, to be sure my memory
was correct.)
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry