Return segment {THE END}

gd010gd02 at mdcbbs.com gd010gd02 at mdcbbs.com
Thu Apr 25 01:32:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr22.100300.1367 at mdcbbs.com>, gd010gd02 at mdcbbs.com writes:

> 	It appears that the memory requested from the operating
> 	system by malloc() is never released even after all the
> 	entries in the allocated segment have been free()'ed
> 	Does anyone know of a "safe" way of returning a segment
> 	to the operating system?

	Thanks everyone for your help. For those who asked "why"
	I am upgrading our company's LAN-based communications
	database/fax-server/e-mail applications and in several
	cases I need to spawn 3rd party executables that require
	as much as 40K. Most of our workstations are DOS PC's
	with substantial overhead in the 640K zone from the
	network interface. Yesterday I installed MSCv6 which
	has a handy function called _heapmin(). I suppose the
	question was OS specific but I had (slim) hopes
	that there would be a "standard" way of accomplishing
	the same thing, perhaps ANSI ...
		void goodbye_and_thanks_for_all_the_fish(void)

	Mike Thompson