Redeclaration of Variables extern/static

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Tue Apr 16 01:44:10 AEST 1991

In article <15815 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>>I've never seen a UNIX C compiler that had a problem with multiple
>>>declarations of the same object with static linkage...
>>Sorry Doug, you lose.  The original Ritchie compiler refuses to accept
>>such multiple declarations.  (I just tried it...
>
>Hm, I guess the reason I don't recall that is that we upgraded our C
>compiler on our 6th Edition UNIX system to a 7th Edition flavor as
>fast as I was able to incrementally do so...

I don't think that's the reason, because I was actually speaking of the
7th Ed compiler.  (And a derivative of it is what I've got available
for testing.)
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry