ANSI C /K&R 2nd edition questions,...

Rick Burgess rburgess at milton.u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 12 09:43:42 AEST 1991

Anybody know:

are the "Symbolic constants" (VAX/VMSpeak) EPERM, ENOENT, ESRCH,... which are
defined in errno.h in VMS, and apparently also under the standard dynix
compiler on a machine we have here, are these ANSI standard?  The reason I ask
is I cannot find them in my copy of the 2nd edition to the K&R C book.

Neither can I find "access(char *file_spec, int mode);", which is supposed to
be a more elegant way to check the existance and protection on files.

Also:

If there should be a general or common opinion that the 2nd edition of K&R is
not adequate for knowing the ANSI standard, can anyone recommend something
readable/usable?

Also:

Should there be recommendations against using access(), is there some kind of
standard convolution with fopen() or something that is recognized as a good
and clear and/or "the way" to do what access would do?