low level optimization

Jim Giles jlg at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 19 07:42:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr18.185442.7546 at zoo.toronto.edu>, henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> [...]
> Note that there is no definition of what "translation" means.  It could
> mean something as trivial as tokenizing the source and storing it for
> later processing.  It does not have to mean classical compilation.

Echoing my own previous arguments is not going to get you anywhere.
I previously have stated that if you move the "backend" processes
of compilation into a post-compilation tool (like the loader), that
you could do interprocedural analysis and still remain standard
comforming.  I also said that this is not what you were recomending,
and that I had seen no production quality compiler/loader environments
fitted to do this.

If you want now to recommend this implementation as opposed to the
non-conforming method of dependent compilation you were previously
recommending, then i have no quarrel with you.

J. Giles