dynamic loaders

Paul Stachour stachour at sctc.com
Fri Apr 26 23:46:59 AEST 1991

swanbacd at handel.cs.colostate.edu (daniel thom swanback) writes:

>Gentlemen,
>  This is a problem that I have encountered frequently and has
>produced a stall in my current efforts.  Conceptually, I need to
>be able to use the type of the data as a variable itself.  The
>routine to write needs to be able to call other functions at
>run-time.  The problems it has produced are a direct consequence
>of the following:
>                 1. Every function needs a return of any valid C
>                    type
>                 2. Every function takes on a variable length
>                    parameter list
>                 3. Every parameter in the list has to be
>                    declared as any valid C type.

The problem of dynamic linking and loading is an old one.
It is a well-solved problem.
The question of "what do I need to do it?" is indeed the proper one.

I would remond your search begin at the "classical" manual that talks
about the system that first did effective, well-done, dynamic linking.

This is the Multics system, and the manual I would recommend for
you is the Multics Programmer's Reference Manual, Order Number
AG91.  In the back, it has the complete data-structure definitions
(in PL/1, but you can translate) for what you need.  It includes
about 65 different data-types; you can easily extend it as you need.

This can be ordered through your "Bull" representative I'm told.
It might not be possible, since Multics was discontinued,
but it's where I would start.
--
Paul Stachour          SCTC, 1210 W. County Rd E, Suite 100
stachour at sctc.com          Arden Hills, MN  55112