HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BUG?

Anders Juul Munch juul at diku.dk
Wed Apr 17 00:11:17 AEST 1991

cn at allgfx.agi.oz (Con Neri) writes:

>Hi netters,
>	I havec been working with a friend developing some code using
>Turbo C++ V1.5 but only writing in standard C. We have been getting an error
>with a particular piece of code, namely

>	fscanf(fp,"%f", &f);

>	The runtime error is

>	scanf: floating point formats not linked.
>	Abnormal Program termination.

>	Can some one shed some light on what this means? I can compile some
>	other code with the same statement and yet have no errors. I am
>	quite confused!!

>Hope someone out there can help.

[stuff deleted]

I experienced the same problem once, using Turbo C 2.0 and trying to
link "by hand" instead of having the integrated environment make
facility handle all that. The solution was simple: I went back to
linking from the integrated environment.
	Somehow TC/TC++ is trying to be smart, and exclude all
the code to handle floating point (by having a scanf version with
and one without fp-handling), when the program doesn't use
fp arithmetic. The trouble is, as [vsf]scanf and [vsf]printf
functions are interpreters of the format string, this may be
difficult to detect. Somehow you need to make TC aware that
you are dealing with fp. I don't know how TC detects fp use.
Perhaps by looking for fp-variable declarations in that module?
Or fp math?

-- Anders Munch