lint (was: Funny mistake)

Conor O'Neill conor at lion.inmos.co.uk
Tue Apr 2 22:17:20 AEST 1991

In article <5043 at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>But how do you check that the prototypes used in file FOO.C agree with
>the function definitions in file BAZ.C?  If the programmer makes a habit
>of #including the header files with the prototypes _both_ in the files
>that use things _and_ in the files that provide them, all is well.  If
>not, and there is nothing in ANSI C to require it, we're back in the
>realm of Pascal, i.e. up the well known creek without a paddle.

The INMOS ANSI C compiler has a command line switch
("software quality policing") which will warn if an externally visible
function is detected which was not preceded by a prototype.
If prototypes are only ever written in header files, this provides
the required security.
---
Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd., UK.
UK: conor at inmos.co.uk		US: conor at inmos.com
"It's state-of-the-art" "But it doesn't work!" "That is the state-of-the-art".