Appending environment variable to system calls

Checkpoint Technologies ckp at grebyn.com
Mon Apr 8 23:24:26 AEST 1991

In article <memo.895702 at lynx.northeastern.edu> cschmidt at lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>> I wish to be able to set an environment variable (the path to a file)
>> and then to execute a program using the system() function in the
>> following fashion [under DOS]:
>>
>>     char *s;
>>     s=getenv("FOO");
>>     system("FOO/FUBAR");
>
>This brings to mind the following terrific idea.  The DOS environment
>can be used to implement "logical names" in a manner similar to
>logical names on VMS.  I have been doing this for years with great
>success.
> [ describes a way to assign a path spec to a drive letter. ]

Yes yes yes.  I work with many machines with assignments (most every DEC
operating system, AmigaDOS) and they are great.  I also work with Unix
(though not DOS) and have found ways to survive using environment
variables instead.  I prefer to have assigns than not have them.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                ckp at grebyn.com      \\ / /