low level optimization

Mike McGaughey mmcg at bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU
Sat Apr 20 13:43:16 AEST 1991

jlg at cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:

>> Once you invoke the implementation's extension that does inter-module
>> optimization [...]
>> [...] you have ventured outside the scope of the standard, just as if you
>> had invoked a compiler option that enables some implementation-specific
>> feature.

>That's what I keep trying to point out.  Thank heavens for someone
>finally joining the discussion who understands the issue.

A pity you dont.  All that the above means is that ANSI C doesn't force
you to optimise code.  As plenty of people have pointed out, it doesn't
force you *not* to optimise code either, nor does it limit the extent
of your optimisations.  You just optimise *after* the C-to-intermediate-
code translation is done.

Mike.
Mike McGaughey			AARNET:	mmcg at bruce.cs.monash.oz.au

"His state is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed,
 And post o'er land and ocean without rest."		- Milton.