One more point regarding = and == (more flamage)

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at nevin.intel.com
Thu Apr 4 14:36:00 AEST 1991

In article <12269 at sybase.sybase.com> hamish at mate.sybase.com (Just Another Deckchair on the Titanic) writes:
>In article <3425 at inews.intel.com> bhoughto at nevin.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>Hey, the real world encroaches.  I simply consider
>>	/* assign-cum-check */
>>	if ( a=b )
>>more expressive, readable, correct, and professional than
>>	if ( (a=b) != 0 )
>Ah, this from a man who flamed me for daring to introduce the notion of
>formal semantics into a discussion on compiler writing and formal machine
>translation to help sort out a problem he had with C semantics....

I don't know what this has to do with formal semantics, Deckchair,
but I do still have the notes I made on the semantic interpretation
of pointer sums re operations on them (hint: it's uglier than you
think, but not indescribable in human language).

>And your ill-tempered, ignorant and hilariously bad
>flamage based on mis-reading and mis-attributing postings? Well, it was
>fun while it lasted.

Shit happens, swabbie's-butt-breath.  (Just doing my part
to positively reinforce your opinion of me, hilariously
bad as it may be.)

>The Real World encroaches.  It's still sorta hard for *this*
>long-memoried Pointer Fairy to take you seriously.... In the above
>example, your opinion is no more Real World (you worldly thing, you)
>than than it was then. As to "professional" - who's kidding who?

That's "whom," you North-Atlantic sucking piece of leisure furniture.
(From technical spelling flames to non-technical spelling flames;
oh, what a RANGE I have...)

>Started working on multiplying two pointers together yet? Submitted it
>to the Ansi committee? Understood the role of formal semantics in
>compiler writing yet?

Tell me the type of an object large enough to hold the
product of two pointers and I'll work on it.

And if you want a lesson in formal semantics, try
writing a silicon compiler.

				--Blair
				  "Until then, enjoy the fat ladies
				   at the bottom of the sea."