Assignment Ops and Side Effects

Tim McDaniel mcdaniel at adi.com
Thu Apr 11 02:58:28 AEST 1991

In article <18393 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> volpe at camelback.crd.ge.com
(Christopher R Volpe) quotes:

>    3.2.1.1: A char ... may be used in an expression wherever an int or
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    unsigned int may be used. If an int can represent all values of the
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    original type, the value is converted to an int.; otherwise, it is
>    converted to an unsigned int. These are called the integral
>    promotions.
>
> This appears to say that this conversion occurs in any expression
> context, subject to explicit exceptions made elsewhere.

See the first paragraph of section 3.2, "Conversions":

   Several operators convert operand values from one type to another
   automatically.  This section specifies the result required from
   such an *implicit conversion* .... The list in 3.2.1.5 summarizes
   the conversions performed by most ordinary operators; it is
   supplemented as required by the discussion of each operator in 3.3.

Section 3.2.1.5, "Usual Arithmetic Conversions" (ditto):

   Many binary operators that expect operands of arithmetic type cause
   conversions and yield result types in a similar way....

--
   "Of course he has a knife.  We all have knives.  It's 1183, and we're
   all barbarians."