Lisp Eval in C or C++

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Fri Apr 19 02:41:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.170547.19511 at dsd.es.com> bpendlet at dsd.es.com writes:
-In a commercial environment your sales will be higher if you run on
-the computer the cutomer already owns. Cutting your memory usage in
-half can more than double your sales. And you won't sell anything
-today if you need next years processor to make it run acceptably fast.
-The origninal poster said "large." The company I work for sells a
-"large" LISP application. Even compiled it can bog down a 128 meg
-R3000. Not mention that having the application "go to lunch" for 5
-minutes at random times while it is garbage collecting is a serious
-user interface problem. Customers Will Not Accept It.
-So... as much as I like LISP I don't think it is a good language for
-writing commercial applications.

While this isn't much relevant to C as such, this is the newsgroup
I saw the above in, and I feel obliged to point out that Lisp
implementations need not be large, nor slow, nor perform garbage
collection in a disruptive way.  Incremental garbage collection
techniques have been published for many years now (I think I saw
one in CACM not long before it turned into a yuppie magazine).
There are even special hardware architectures (Lisp machines) for
people who are heavily into Lisp-based applications.