low level optimization

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at hopi.intel.com
Mon Apr 22 18:18:53 AEST 1991

In article <22021 at lanl.gov> jlg at cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
[...and forgets to attribute me...]
>> prevents use of this optimization, but you haven't been
>> so vocal about the case where you deliberately alias one
>> of your arrays, which also blows your optimization.
>
>Since I _never_ deliberately alias array arguments either to each
>other or to globals to which the procedure I'm calling has access,
>this is not an issue to me.

And I don't depend on Fortrannical optimizations that can break
whenever the vendor feels like it.  If I want things linked
that closely, I'll keep them close.

[...lots of "it would be nice if C were Fortran" deleted...]

Some of us like the fact that arrays are passed as
pointers, and can be aliased rampantly.  It's a matter of
looking _both_ ways before stepping into the street, though
the traffic is _supposed_ to be traveling in only one
direction per lane...

				--Blair
				  "Go figure."