Zero/nil/NULL/NUL/0/...

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.edu
Wed Apr 24 04:43:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr20.134839.11052 at grebyn.com> ckp at grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
=In article <GNAT.91Apr20183721 at kauri.kauri.vuw.ac.nz> gnat at kauri.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington) writes:
=>I have read the FAQ and this doesn't seem to be what I'm after.  What I
=>am looking for is an explicit list of things which 0 (zero decimal, zero
=>octal, zero hexadecimal, etc) stand for.  So far I have :
=>  -> The number zero (in any base)
=>  -> The unused pointer (in some machines)
=       Er, really a pointer which is not pointing to anything.  This
=       should be true of all machines. (Go read the FAQ again.)
=>  -> The null character (ASCII, etc)
=>  -> End of file (EOF)
=       Actually this is untrue.  0 can be a valid file character, so EOF
=       must not be 0; typically EOF is -1.
=>  -> Not true (FALSE)
=
=Offhand, I can't think of any other "meanings" C gives to 0.

How about "These two strings are the same"?

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math