64 bit architectures and C/C++

Larry Campbell campbell at redsox.bsw.com
Mon Apr 29 22:55:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr29.050715.22968 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
->3. If conformance to the standard is important, then the obvious
->choices are
-
->	short	16 bits
->	int	32 bits
->	long	64 bits
->	void *	64 bits
-
-That depends on the natural address size of the machine.  If the
-machine uses 32 bit addresses, then (void *) should be 32 bits.
-I would not want my address arrays taking up more memory than is
-needed.
-
-Is it really necessary that sizeof(void *) == sizeof(long)?

Of course not.

We're currently porting a largish (150K lines) program to a machine
on which:

	short	(dunno, not at work now so I can't check)
	int	32 bits
	long	32 bits
	void *	128 bits

Thank *god* it has a fully-compliant ANSI compiler.

For extra credit:  can you guess what machine this is?
--
Larry Campbell             The Boston Software Works, Inc., 120 Fulton Street
campbell at redsox.bsw.com    Boston, Massachusetts 02109 (USA)