difference between c++; and ++c;

Bruce R. Miller miller at GEM.cam.nist.gov
Wed Apr 10 08:06:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr08.161444.10025 at cs.ruu.nl>, Ernst de Ridder writes:
> I once read (I'm not sure where, but I believe it was in the C++
> programming language) that some C-programmers argue that ++c is neater
> than c++.  (In situations where the side-effect doesn't matter).  So
If the side-effect doesn't matter, I prefer to use this:

(ie. whitespace).  Most compilers do a good job of optimizing it.  :>>

But seriously, I think you meant to say,
   "where the VALUE doesn't matter"
In which case, I can't think of any particular reason other than
personal preference.  and possible the precedence business that another
poster mentioned...