New 'n' Improved comp.lang.c FAQ List

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Thu Apr 4 08:49:32 AEST 1991

In article <1780 at mti.mti.com> adrian at mti.UUCP (Adrian McCarthy) writes:
>I'm not sure if people are really trying to clear this up, or if they're
>just trying to propagate the joke.  At the risk of being a fool...

(I think people are getting it wrong, rather than perpetuating the
Emily Postnews bit.  Anyway, this sort of joke works the way Manny
described to Mike: `Use it once, you're a wit.  Use it twice, you're
a half-wit.'  `Geometric progression?'  `Or worse.')

>	#include <limits.h>
>	#define QUOTE(a)	#a
>		static char	retbuf[sizeof(QUOTE(INT_MIN))];

This almost works: it expands to

		static char	retbuf[sizeof("INT_MIN")];

You must use two levels of macro evaluation:

	#define XQUOTE(a)	QUOTE(a)	/* expanded quote */
		static char retbuf[sizeof(XQUOTE(INT_MIN))];
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov