moving towards the standard ANSI with old c code

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sun Apr 21 05:46:49 AEST 1991

In article <8452 at umd5.umd.edu> jjk at astro.umd.edu (Jim Klavetter) writes:
>1.  What is the timescale for all compilers to be ANSI?

WHat makes you think there IS a time scale for that?
My guess is that old-style C environments will continue to be
encountered by many of us for the next five years, and that
within the next two years almost all new computer acquisitions
could reasonably start to specify C standard conformance.

>And what is the timescale for most compilers not accepting old c (I
>know it is often called K&R c, but I will use the term old C to mean
>nonANSI c)?

Since standard C is for the most part a superset of "K&R C",
old, carefully written C code should continue to be usable into
the foreseeable future.

>2.  When should I be worrying about updating my libraries (if not my
>programs) to ANSI c?  Should this be done all at once or can I do it
>as needed?

What libraries are you talking about?  I don't understand why you
think there is a problem to be solved here.