Programming Style

Bryan Morse morse at hatteras.cs.unc.edu
Thu Apr 18 02:55:08 AEST 1991

In article <28721:Apr1701:15:3791 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.154655.14204 at hellgate.utah.edu> u-beasth%peruvian.utah.edu at cs.utah.edu (Bryant Eastham) writes:
>> When
>> the standard says that system headers may be included multiple times then
>> write code as though they can.
>
>For code that you distribute or plan to port to future systems, you
>should never make an assumption like that.

Then why even have a standard in the first place?

The general opinion has often surfaced here that, "Well, it may be in the
standard, but if you do it it won't be portable."  Huh???  I realize that
it takes time for a standard to emerge and that compliance is optional,
but does that mean we should continue to write every C program according
to K&R Edition 1, First printing?  Never use enums, never use prototypes,
never use voids, never return structures...

--
Bryan Morse                University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
morse at cs.unc.edu           Department of Computer Science