low level optimization

Jim Giles jlg at cochiti.lanl.gov
Sat Apr 20 08:59:22 AEST 1991

> [...]     but why is it so horrible to you to document
> to the users of your optimized libraries that certain
> arguments to certain functions must be carefully
> non-aliased?  [...]

It's not horrible.  You miss my point if you believe that I would
oppose that.  You give me a portable way to declare to the compiler
that two (or more) arguments are assumed not to be aliased and I will
rejoice.

The problem is that what people are recommending is _not_ portable
and is _not_ an explicit declaration (so the end user has to guess
which variables the compiler optimized in this way and which are
safe to alias).

J. Giles