Whose code should we break? ( was Re: 64 bit C )

Joe Buck jbuck at galileo.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 20 12:54:29 AEST 1991

In article <65469 at brunix.UUCP>, cgy at cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
|> But I want sizeof long == sizeof char *.  There are quite a few applications
|> in which I find myself writing my own memory manager; I need some type
|> in which I can flick the bits on my pointers, portably.

Use size_t.  This is a typedef which is in /usr/include/sys/types.h on
most Unix systems.  ANSI C requires every C implementation to provide
a definition for it.  It must evaluate to an integral type big enough
to hold a pointer.

--
Joe Buck
jbuck at galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck