Initializing Static Variables

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:02:21 AEST 1991

In article <957 at caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave at cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>Interesting.  I'm just working out "Dave's law of variable non-useability":
>	An uninitialized variable can be counted on to have a random
>	value, until such time as a random value will be useful to
>	the programmer.  Then, an uninitialized variable can be counted
>	on to be zero.

Needs work.  It should read something like:

	An uninitialized value can be counted upon to have a
	non-random value, and in particular a non-random value
	which will make the program appear to work properly,
	until such time as all bugs are worked out, the original
	programmer's back is turned, and someone tries to port
	the code to another environment, assuming it will be
	"a simple matter of recompilation..."

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu