making characters disappear

Doug McDonald mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 23 12:47:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb23.014700.16507 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>james at castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) writes:
> Does anyone know of a way to prevent characters being echoed...
>2.  It's not a good subject for the C language group because the answer
>isn't related to C,

The original question, cut down to the one sentence quoted above,
**IS** a good subject for comp.lang.c.

That is because it SHOULD be possible to do such very common things
as non-echo reading or reading single characters without terminating
carriage returns. We should be discussing how to put this into the
next standardized version of the language. It SHOULD have been in the
present version.

Doug McDonald