Printing plural forms.

Arndt Jonasson arndt at zyx.ZYX.SE
Tue Feb 19 21:48:10 AEST 1991

We all have seen and, in various degrees, been irritated by texts such
as:

	1 files were copied

when it should have been:

	1 file was copied

I'd like to know: when programming, how do you avoid such errors? Are
there features in the programming language you use (or other languages
you know) that make plural handling especially easy or difficult? Are
there features in your native language that make plural handling
especially difficult?

All opinions and information are welcome (though I'm more interested
in how people actually produce a correct text, rather than their
excuses for not doing so). Reply to me by email, and I'll post a
summary.

[I cross-post this to comp.lang.c, because I think I will reach a
larger audience that way.]

--
Arndt Jonasson, ZYX AB, Styrmansgatan 6, 114 54 Stockholm, Sweden
email address:   arndt at zyx.SE   or      <backbone>!mcsun!sunic!zyx!arndt