Is this correct a=/* comment */b;

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Thu Feb 7 14:25:12 AEST 1991

In article <532 at ctycal.UUCP> pat at ctycal.UUCP (Patrick Woo) writes:
> I have the following line in some third party source code
> a=/* This is a comment */b;

In article <584 at taumet.com> steve at taumet.com (Stephen Clamage)
answers correctly and then wonders:
> ...why any compiler should accept =/ and friends any more
since they were
> ...listed as already obsolete -- 13 years ago!

What I am wondering (pardon my French) is which pencil-necked
"third party" cretin wrote that shit in the first place?  I'm not
yelling at you, Pat, but please tell us exactly who, so we can
string him up by his thumbnails.  There are at most two places
for code like

	a=/* This is a comment */b;

neither of them any good:

     1.	the obfuscated C contest, and
     2.	these silly discussions.

Anyone who sticks a comment like that in anything even remotely
resembling production code should probably be dragged out behind
the barn on an icy, moonless night and put out of his misery with
a 12-gauge like the pathetic dying mongrel he is.

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu