:? unique? (was Re: cond. op. on ='s LHS)

Richard Harter rh at smds.UUCP
Mon Feb 25 18:07:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb23.215538.10212 at Think.COM>, barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
> In article <334 at smds.UUCP> rh at smds.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
> >As far as the ?: syntax is concerned I would like to reiterate the point
> >that it is dissimilar to other C constructs (other than that it uses still
> >more special symbols.)  All other operators which use punctuation (with
> >the exception of ->) are either unary or binary operators.

> What about the function call operator?  It takes an arbitrary positive
> number of parameters.

To say nothing of the comma operator or the switch statement.  :-)

However C follows the "one, two, many" approach to terms.  You can
say:

	OP TERM				--x *x -x &x etc
	TERM OP				x++ x-- etc?
	TERM OP TERM			x+y x-y x*y etc
	TERM [OP TERM]...		f(x,..) x,y... etc

It occurs to me, offhand, that post decrement and post increment are
the only instances of TERM OP.  Does this mean that post incrementing is
ugly?  :-)

--
Richard Harter, Software Maintenance and Development Systems, Inc.
Net address: jjmhome!smds!rh Phone: 508-369-7398