Addressing struct without ->

AthanasiosTom Zougas zougas at me.utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 2 09:23:38 AEST 1991

wolfram at cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) writes:

>NIBMSCM at NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

>>		...Pascal, I had the capability to use
>>the 'using' keyword, giving the address of a structure and then address
>>the elements of that structure without the necessity of using the
>>ptr->element notation (could simply use element).
>#define X ptr->fooptr->foo.bar.bar.baz.foobar->foobaz.x
>and now write
>	X->something
>instead of (well you know what).

Personally, I hate these types of "magic" defines. Why not just use:

	X = ptr->fooptr->foo.bar.bar.baz.foobar->foobaz.x
and the access the elements within using:

	X.element
where X is of the proper type. This also saves on all those indirections.

Tom.

--
I can be reached at...
  zougas at me.utoronto.ca || zougas at me.toronto.edu || ...!utai!me!zougas