need "yy-ddd-hh:mm:ss ==> (time_t) clock" converter

Tim W Smith ts at cup.portal.com
Thu Feb 28 21:05:14 AEST 1991

< I can't believe this.  At run-time, you do useful things, not table
< generation.  You can easily do it pre-compile-time, once.  You write a
< few shell commands to do that, or some simple-minded elisp code, and
< include the code as a comment:

[He then gives examples of including in comments in the source code
suggested shell or elisp commands that the user can use to generate
the table]

Well, I can't believe this, either!  What about simply doing this:

	#define	JAN	0
	#define	FEB	JAN+31
	#define	MAR	FEB+28
	#define	APR	MAR+31
	#define	MAY	APR+30
	#define	JUN	MAY+31
	#define	JUL	JUN+30
	#define	AUG	JUL+31
	#define	SEP	AUG+31
	#define	OCT	SEP+30
	#define	NOV	OCT+31
	#define	DEC	NOV+30

	int days[] =
	{
		JAN, FEB, MAR, APR,
		MAY, JUN, JUL, AUG,
		SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC
	};

When someone wishes to port this program to a different machine, they
don't have to have the shell or emacs or other tools to generate the
table.

< Morale: Let the machines do the chores.

But going out of our way to create these chores for the machines to do
seems to me to be counterproductive!

							Tim Smith