Safe coding practices (was Re: Bug in users command)

Steven Ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Sat Feb 2 06:26:52 AEST 1991

>>In general, sure, handling arbitrary input is great.  In specific cases
>>where you can make a confident estimate of the maximum input size, I have
>>no problem at all with using checked fixed size arrays of ten times
>>that size.  The benefit is N fewer lines to get wrong, and the cost, if
>>your estimate is good, is non-existant.

Should all this be moved to rec.humor.c? The first thing the fanatics shout out
each time a Fortro-C War breaks out is that the poor Fortran programmers are
forced to use fixed size arrays, whereas C with its linked lists and
dynamically allocatable arrays can handle anything machine memory size permits.

I guess you can program in Fortran in any language.
--
...!uunet!ingr!apd!smryan                                       Steven Ryan
...!{apple|pyramid}!garth!smryan              2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA