Why have xxx_t typedef names (was Re: Is typedef char BUFFER[20] legal?)

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 1 04:21:47 AEST 1991

In article <BEVAN.91Jan30084205 at rhino.cs.man.ac.uk> bevan at cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:
>What is the purpose of the "_t" ... etc. postfixes ?
>It obviously makes any variables defined by a typedef'd type very
>clear, but is that important?  I think not.

The purpose is the same as the convention of using uppercase for macro
names:  to give the poor programmer a little bit more help in figuring
out what's going on, and to minimize namespace collisions.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry