printf and scanf in IBMC on IBM 3090

Stephen Clamage steve at taumet.com
Wed Feb 6 04:02:31 AEST 1991

ghot at s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:

>When I run [this program], it refuses to execute
>the first printf until after the user has typed something in for the
>scanf statement, whereupon it executes both printf statements.

[program works as desired when '\n' added to printf statements]

This is an issue of system buffering, and when output characters appear
on the user's terminal.  The whole area is implementation-defined
(ANSI C standard, section 4.9.3).  A conforming implementation may show
the behavior you describe, so long as it documents it.

Steve Clamage, TauMetric Corp, steve at taumet.com