mailing binary files

Christopher R Volpe volpe at camelback.crd.ge.com
Thu Feb 21 08:55:31 AEST 1991

In article <1025 at tfsg.UUCP>, mark at tfsg.UUCP (Mark Crafts) writes:
|>Quick question:
|>
|>What's the best way to send binary files through E-mail (you know, with
|>a "---cut here---" line) so that when "cut there", it can be saved to
|>a file and executed (or unpacked then executed or whatever).

Well, C doesn't have any built-in "mail binary file" operator, so we'll
have to fudge it. It would probably be easier to use "system()" to
invoke mail, although using "popen()" might be more efficient.

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
  FILE *binfile,*textfile;
  int c;

  binfile=fopen("fname.bin","r");
  textfile=fopen("fname.txt","w");

  fprintf(textfile,"---cut here---\n");
  while ((c=getc(binfile))!=EOF) {
    fprintf(textfile,"%#X ",c);
  }
  fclose(textfile);
  fclose(binfile);
  system("mail user at domain < fname.txt");
}

|>			Mark
|>
|>Please E-Mail, thanks

I would have, but seeing how this is just so applicable to comp.lang.c, I
thought I'd post it.
Chris Volpe
G.E. Corporate R&D
volpecr at crd.ge.com