Help with casts

Abed M. Hammoud abed at saturn.wustl.edu
Thu Feb 21 15:01:45 AEST 1991

	Hello,

	This is probably not a smart question...so please forgive me..
	I am new to C, and I have been a couple of times encountering
	the term lvalue...I looked it up in K&R C book but I still don't
	get it...could some body please help me with a small description.

	I also have another small question, please take a look at
	the two loops below and tell me if there is any difference
	in speed.

		for (i=0; i < 100; i++)
		  x += i;

		As compared to...

		for (i=0; i < 100; i++)
		  x += (float)i;

	i.e my question is when I precede a variable by a cast does
	that add to the amount of work done during run-time ?.

	a fortran convert....

	thanks

	| Abed  M. Hammoud			abed at saturn.wustl.edu|
	| Washington University.	        office:(314)726-7547 |
	| Electronic Systems & Signals Research Laboratory.          |
	| Dept. of Electrical/Biomedical Engineering.		     |
	| St.Louis Mo U.S.A                                          |