mailing binary files

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Thu Feb 21 14:25:10 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.224539.23290 at Neon.Stanford.EDU>
espie at flamingo.Stanford.EDU (Marc Espie) writes:

| So what's wrong with uuencode/uudecode ?

The original uuencode/uudecode (ie, the one your UNIX vendor typically
provides) does not work too well if sent through a PR1ME system, which
strips trailing blanks from a line.  I've also heard some of the
characters used don't arrive intact if passed through an ASCII ->
EBCDIC -> translation system, but I may be misremembering it....

Also, uuencode transmits more characters than atob/btoa (which come
with the B news release), but those suffer from not being as universal
as uuencode/uudecode.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?