getting started

Mark W. Schumann catfood at NCoast.ORG
Wed Jan 23 13:26:39 AEST 1991

Lloyd Williams writes:
>I'm going to have to teach my self C for my research work, so
>I`d like to know what is a good book to learn from, and what is
>a good compiler to buy. I'll be learning on an I.B.M. PS/2,
>although I'll eventually be using the "MPW" C on Mac.
>Thanks in advance for any help.

It's been said before, and I'll say it again... get the original
"white book."  Better still, buy the update.  _The_C_Programming_Language_
is still a classic.  As long as you already are familiar with some
other third-generation language, you will find this the most
useful beginning.  Authors of the first edition circa 1980 were
Kerninghan & Ritchie.  Authors of second edition are ?????.
Mark W. Schumann  3111 Mapledale Avenue, Cleveland 44109 USA
Domain: catfood at ncoast.org
UUCP:   ...!mailrus!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!catfood