32 bit longs

Norman Diamond diamond at jit345.swstokyo.dec.com
Tue Jan 22 13:22:06 AEST 1991

In article <231 at nazgul.UUCP> bright at nazgul.UUCP (Walter Bright) writes:
                                                 -------------
                                                 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                 ?????????????

>If you have a need for *exactly* 32 bits, you can do things like:
>	x &= 0xFFFFFFFF;	/* truncate result to 32 bits	*/
>... Alternatively, you can do things like:
>	if (sizeof(x) == 4)
>		/* code here depends on 32 bits in x */

On a machine with 36-bit words and C support hacked with 9-bit chars,
this test will give an undesired result.

On a machine with 16-bit bytes, this test will give an undesired result
either way, if x really has 32 bits or if it doesn't.

It is hard to believe that Mr. Bright would make this kind of mistake.

Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com