cdecl and pascal keywords

Garrett Wollman wollman at emily.uvm.edu
Wed Jan 2 05:10:41 AEST 1991

We are getting *very* far afield from the subject of C... :-(

That said, I should point out to the previous posters, that there is
*no* reason why the arguments have to be popped off the stack
immediately after every function call.  In fact, by default, gcc -O
waits to pop until there is a branch or unbranch in control-flow (or,
at any rate, that what I *think* it's doing) before popping.  You have
to specifically request -fno-defer-pop for it to stop doing this.

Of course, you can also do without a frame pointer if it strikes your
fancy--just don't try to debug!

Unfortunately, as all PC programmers know, Microsoft is (and always
has been) considerably behind the times when it comes to optimization.
I'm thinking of trying to compile the mutated, 16-bit, 8086-supporting
version of GCC so that I can get decent optimization on PC programs.
I'm also thinking of scrapping PC programming altogether, at least so
long as I have access to a Real Computer :-)

-GAWollman

Garrett A. Wollman - wollman at emily.uvm.edu

Disclaimer:  I'm not even sure this represents *my* opinion, never
mind UVM's, EMBA's, EMBA-CF's, or indeed anyone else's.