K&R vs ANSI-c

Jim Bacon jim at anacom1.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 11:19:20 AEST 1991

In article <14845 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <650 at caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave at cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>>You could always hire some grad student(s) fresh from a compiler
>>writing course to write a new compiler for you... You may not get
>
>Actually, if the students are not completely inept, they would probably
>port GNU CC instead of trying to implement their own compiler from
>scratch.  GNU CC can generate pretty good code.

I once had a discussion with the manufacturer in question (Acer
Counterpoint) and was told at that time that they were going to use GNU
C as the ANSI compiler on future models.

It is possible that they had started the project and might still have
the sources laying around.  I have obtained similar support in the past
from them on such matters and they are usually cooperative.

As a side note, Acer has recently purchased Altos Computers and are
still in the process of moving people around to new buildings, etc. and
are difficult to get in touch with at the time.

--
Jim Bacon                                  | "A computer's attention span is
Anacom General Corp., CA                   |  only as long as its power cord."