Style guides and portability

Larry Jones scjones at thor.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 04:53:07 AEST 1991

In article <BEVAN.91Jan12120920 at orca.cs.man.ac.uk>, bevan at cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:
> What about the cases where it is a requirement that a particular int
> MUST be able to hold 32 bit numbers.  If you transfer this to a 16 bit
> int system, your software is going to die horribly.

If the variable is required to hold 32 bit numbers, it should be a long
(which is guaranteed to be large enough) rather than an int.  I completely
agree with Doug -- INT32 and friends are of no real value.
----
Larry Jones, SDRC, 2000 Eastman Dr., Milford, OH  45150-2789  513-576-2070
Domain: scjones at thor.UUCP  Path: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
It's going to be a long year. -- Calvin