Wierd core dump on sparc-1

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed Jan 30 05:17:37 AEST 1991

In article <246 at platypus.uofs.edu> bill at platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>In article <14976 at smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>> to a function.  Since SPARC tends to be less tolerant of such errors than
>> some other C environments, it is possible that your code has such a problem.
>Actually, I wouldn't lay the blame at the feet of SPARC.  I have a MIPS
>that suffers the same problems.

I wasn't "blaming" SPARC.  The point is that RISC architectures differ
sufficiently from VAX-like CICS architectures that bugs in C code may
not turn up on VAX-like architectures but are likely to show up when
porting to a RISC machine.  For example, AT&T's Documenter's WorkBench
Release 2.0 failed miserably on Pyramid processors, due to the programmer
having made certain assumptions about how arguments were passed to
functions (rather than using the varargs mechanism).