ANSI C and comment preprocessing

Donald Maffly donald at cae780.csi.com
Tue Jan 8 11:17:23 AEST 1991

In pre-ANSI C compilers, I noticed that it was possible
to place a comment within an idenitfier without
splitting the identifier in two.

The following code segment illustrates this, and
compiles "sans erreur" on all of our C compilers
(which claim to support ANSI C):

main()
{
	int my/* comment */var;
	myvar = 1;
}

This example may seem pretty obscure to some of you,
but there do exist people who know this
to be a trusted and accepted feature in older C compilers, so
it can't be too obscure.

Well, in "The C Programming Language" (2nd Edition), which
purports to laying down ANSI C Standards, reads in section
"A12.  Preprocessing", item #5:

	"[...] comments are replaced by a single space;"

Now, if this were true, then the code segment above
wouldn't compile.

Can anyone help me answer this koan????

Donald Maffly