ANSI C and comment preprocessing

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Wed Jan 9 03:25:08 AEST 1991

In article <11228 at cae780.csi.com> donald at cae780.csi.com (Donald Maffly) writes:
>In pre-ANSI C compilers, I noticed that it was possible
>to place a comment within an idenitfier without
>splitting the identifier in two.

In *some* pre-ANSI compilers this was possible.  Not by any means all.
The pre-ANSI specs for the preprocessor were just plain vague.

(Note that a lot of people's idea of "all the pre-ANSI compilers in the
world" is "all the ports of PCC that I normally use".  PCC is only one
compiler, for such non-code-generation issues, no matter how many machines
you run it on.  There were a good many non-PCC pre-ANSI compilers.)
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry