32 bit longs

Paul Tomblin pt at geovision.uucp
Thu Jan 24 04:21:35 AEST 1991

bright at nazgul.UUCP (Walter Bright) writes:
>	if (sizeof(x) == 4)
>		/* code here depends on 32 bits in x */
>	else
>		/* Portability alert! */
>		assert(0); /* rewrite this algorithm! */

What could possibly be the advantage of that code over the following?:

	/*	If this assertion fails, port to another machine or rewrite! */
	assert(sizeof(x) == 4);

--
Paul Tomblin, Department of Redundancy Department.       ! My employer does
The Romanian Orphans Support Group needs your help,      ! not stand by my